Wednesday, December 28, 2011

A Couple Hats

I started making a couple hats for winter back in October, before our huge snowstorm just before Halloween. I had thought I would have more time to finish them before the snow fell! A hat would have been nice while out there shoveling the heavy, wet snow.

I finished one hat well before Christmas, and was able to wear it on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, when it was cold enough to wear a hat. And, because I was in northern New England, I got to enjoy a white Christmas. I finally finished the second hat the day after Christmas. Today, back home in Massachusetts, the rain has stopped and the temperature is hovering around 40 degrees. I'm sure at some point I will get to wear the second hat.

Hat #1 is from a pattern from Fiber Trends, Crocheted Felt Hat with Brim Variations (the pattern also has a knit version). I used 3 skeins Valley Yarns Northampton Bulky 100% wool. I purchased the yarn and pattern from WEBS. Some yarns felt better than others, and this one took at least an hour and a half in the washing machine.

It's a thick hat, and while it does not cover my ears, I have found it quite warm.


Hat #2 was knit from a pattern by Melissa LaBarre, Crooked Paths. The author gave me the pattern, but I have seen it at WEBS or you can find it here. It was probably the most challenging pattern I've followed to date, but the end result is nice. I'm rather happy with it. I used 2 skeins Valley Superwash yarn, from WEBS.

1 comment:

Jayne said...

I like your hats, especially the felted one.

Jayne