Friday, February 17, 2006

Missing phone rematerialized

I went to work early Wednesday in order to search the house thoroughly for my cell phone before anyone else got there. The temperature outside reached the 50s Fahrenheit, so most of the snow from Sunday's storm had melted. As I was walking toward the house, there, beside the ramp, was my cell phone. Logically, it must have fallen off my pocket at some point in the driveway, either at the spot I found it or anywhere else and was subsequently pushed to that spot by the snow plow. Why I did not see it on the ground Sunday, when I was looking for it, was beyond me. I do remember looking on and around the ramp and driveway on Sunday, before the plow guy came.

The phone had a few drops of water on the pseudo-leather case, easily wiped off. I turned on the phone and it worked! The low battery indicator also turned on, but the phone worked. I turned it back off and then called Cingular and reactivated my phone. I told the woman I spoke with about what happened, and she was astounded that water had not ruined the phone. I told her that I put a phone through a washer about a year and a half ago, and that phone still worked fine until I bought this phone. It's a good testimonial to the manufacturers of cell phones. The old phone was a Nokia, the current phone is a Motorola.

One good thing that came of calling Cingular to reactivate my phone was that I discovered by accident that dialing random numbers will get you a live person. In the menu where they tell you to dial 1 for this or 2 for that, I tried dialing 0, only to get, "I'm sorry. I don't understand your response." So I got to a point where I was asked to enter my phone number, area code first. I forgot to dial the area code first and started dialing the rest of the number, then some random numbers. I expected this to get me a voice saying, "I'm sorry. I don't understand your response." Instead, I got, "please hang on and a customer service representative will be with your shortly." And shortly, a live person did come on the line.

I went out and bought a leash for my phone, added security for when the clip fails. One end of the chain clips to the phone, and the other to whatever. The photo shows the phone chained to my purse. That's Bodhi making sure the phone is secure.

Image hosting by Photobucket

1 comment:

Yesrie said...

I think you have a bright future in electronics torture-testing :>

So glad it resurfaced, though! The chain is a good idea, although I'd never get the phone off the purse before it stopped ringing :-I

Yez